Saturday, August 24, 2019

Weirdly Comical


Weirdly Comical

There were two incidents in my grandmother, Hazel Bristol Wiedrich’s life that relate to the fact she only had one leg. Her leg was amputated when she was a teen after about 19 operations stemming from a bone issue that wouldn’t heal.

Once when on a family outing she was in a car crash. My grandfather was driving a station wagon along a highway in Florida. This was about 1963. In the car besides my grandfather and grandmother were my aunt Yvonne, cousin Patsy and her daughter Cindy and Mrs. Thorp, a family friend from NJ. There were no speed limits or at least they weren’t enforced at that time. My grandfather was going at a high rate of speed when he went off the side of the highway. The car was thrown. My grandmother was thrown from the front passenger seat into the back seat. Everyone had some injuries, some minor and some serious. My grandmother was almost scalped. Of course, head wounds bleed a lot and my grandmother was covered in blood. People stopped to help and when they pulled my grandmother out of the car they all got very upset shouting “She’s lost her leg. Look for it.” My grandmother was somewhat in shock, but she said in her mind she was laughing that people were running around looking for a leg she had lost 40 years before.

Another incident that involved here missing leg was when she had her Gaul bladder out. It was an emergency surgery and the doctor visited her each day following the surgery. They kept you in the hospital for quite a few days at that time. The day before she was to be released she asked the doctor if she could use her crutches. The doctor replied, “I operated on you stomach. Why would you need crutches?” She replied, “If I don’t it’s the first time in almost 40 years. I only have one leg.” The doctor through back the sheets and said, “Oh, my God, you only have one leg.” It took a long time for him to live that one down. It goes to show he only looked at what he was supposed to although this was the same hospital that years later amputated someone’s wrong leg not once but twice.

Thankfully there are sometimes a funny moment during difficult times to help us keep our sanity.

#Hazel Wiedrich, #Wiedrrich, Hazel, #52 Ancestors, #52 Ancestors Comedy, #Amputees

No comments:

Post a Comment