Tuesday, March 25, 2014

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks #10 Helen Faith Ludlam

Helen Faith Ludlam
What I remember best about my Aunt Helen is spending the weekend at her house in Egg Harbor City, NJ. Technically she was my cousin but since she was married and had children older than me she became “Aunt” Helen. About once a month my mom, dad, brother and me would drive down to her house on a Friday or Saturday and spend the night and return home later the next day. She and Uncle John would spend the evening playing cards with my mom and dad or they would go out for the evening. In the morning she always made a great breakfast. Her pancakes were terrific. She made them with orange juice and the taste was wonderful. Uncle John had a cast stone business behind the house and it was fun to explore what was there including playing with the adding machine in the office.
Helen was born in Pennsylvania on August 14, 1918. She was an infant when her mother died and she went to live with her maternal grandparents in Harrisburg, PA. In 1922 her father married my Aunt Caroline Moore. Her grandparents, who I’m sure loved her very much, were reluctant to return her to her father who could now provide a home for her. There was a legal procedure and she was returned to her father and stepmother in Gloucester City, NJ. By the 1940 Census she was married to John Kenneth Rupp and living with her in-laws in Galloway Twp., Atlantic County, NJ. At that time she was working as a radio examiner for RCA.
She and Uncle John would have three children and make their home in Egg Harbor City, NJ. She worked at Wheaton Glass for many years until she developed lung problems from the coating process for the glass. She was a member of the Eastern Star of NJ and served as Worthy Matron for her chapter. Uncle John, a Mason, would be her Worthy Patron.

I remember her as a strong and loving woman. What a great role model. She died on November 21, 2000. I cherish great memories and always think of her when I make orange pancakes.

#52 Ancestors, #Helen Ludlam, #Helen Rupp

No comments:

Post a Comment