Monday, June 16, 2014

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks #22 Peter Praa, Jr.

Peter Praa, Jr.

My husband’s 9th great grandfather was Peter (Pieter) Praa. He was born in Leiden, South Holland, Netherlands around 1655. He was Christened in the Wallon church in Leiden on 17 March 1658. His parents had immigrated to Holland from France and from there to America in 1659. The family settled in Bushwick (Brooklyn). He was known as Captain Peter Praa since he was in Col. Stephen Courtland’s militia regiment.
Peter owned a large tract of land in Bushwick. He married Maria Hay on 15 May between the years 1682-4 in Flatbush, NY. Maria came from a wealthy family. Her father owned large tracts of land in Bushwick and Manhattan. Peter and Maria led the life of the wealthy and had 7 children. A census in 1738 lists the couple as living in Bushwick with a large tract of land and nine slaves.
He died on 5 Sept 1740 in Bushwick. The following is his will:
In the name of God, Amen. I, PETER PRAA, of Bushwick, in Kings County, "being in pretty good health."
I leave to my wife Maria, the use of all my estate while she remains my widow, "for her better support and maintainance."
I leave to my two grand-sons, Peter Praa Van Zandt and Johanes Van Zandt, my 2 dwelling houses and ground on (???) street, in the north ward of New York.
I leave to my daughter, Elizabeth Meseroll, all that tract of land and meadow which I purchased of Dirck Volkertse, adjoining the land I now live on, upon the west side, and east by the land of John Meseroll, and to run north, as the fence stands, and on the south, east, and west by ditches to the river.
After my wife's decease, then to my children.
I leave to my daughter Annettie, wife of Daniel Bodee, a piece of land and meadow on the east side of Maspeth Kill or creek, commonly called Dominie's Hook (except the little island in the piece, which I will that my old negro Jacob shall have so long as he lives to maintain himself). 
I give to my daughter, Christiana Provoost, the dwelling house and ground she now lives in; Also two houses and ground I now have by lease from Mr. John Harperdinck, for life, and then to her children.
Of the rest of my estate I leave 1/4 to my two grand-sons, 1/4 to my
daughter, Elizabeth Meseroll, 1/4 to my daughter, Anattie Bodee, and 1/4 to Christiana Provoost.
I make my two grand-sons, and John Colier and Isaac Bergen and Johanes
Albertse, executors. 
Dated August 6, 1739. Witnesses, John Vanderspiegel, Abraham Lodge, 
Bartholomew Cornell. Proved, September 5, 1740.

Sources
Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s
New Jersey, Abstract of Wills, 1670-1817
Family Data Collection – Deaths- Ancestry.com
Millennium File - Ancestry.com
Public Member Trees - Ancestry.com

#Peter Praa, #Praa, Peter, #52 Ancestors, #Brooklyn, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment