Thursday, August 2, 2018


Stormy Weather

Some of my most memorable weather events are tied to RVing. The first night we spent in our first motorhome was in Wisconsin. Around 9pm a big storm came up with threats of tornadoes. The RV shook with lightning striking nearby. The Sean and Travis were young. One slept through it and ones was terrified. All I could think of was “Who usually dies in a tornado? People in trailers”. Not much sleeping that night.

The second storm happened in Kansas. A huge storm came up. Water was leaking into to the RV everywhere. We put pots under leaks and the cooler under a large leak under the air conditioner. The next morning, I opened the door to dump the cooler outside and the sight that faced me was we were in knee-deep water. Around us those who had been tent camping were returning from their escape to motels. They were pairing up to wring sleeping bags out. I unplugged the electric cord to the RV standing in knee high water. After getting everything together we pulled out of the camp ground and stopped at a convenience store just up the road. I went in to buy some buns and donuts. I asked the clerk if they had bad storms like that very often. The woman looked at me like I was crazy and said “Honey, this is Kansas.” Shades of “The Wizard of Oz”.

Arlene Baker

#52 Ancestors, #Storms, #Camping

No comments:

Post a Comment