Sunday, January 19, 2020

Long Feet


The 52 Ancestors’ prompt of “Long” made me wonder what to write about. Then I thought about the Moore feet. Most of us inherited the long somewhat narrow feet. My feet are long, size 10 or 11 depending on the style shoe. Add to that they’re flat. When I went for my induction physical for the Air Force they questioned those flat feet but passed me anyway. My dad, Earl Moore faced the same. When he was drafted into the army during WWII they questioned his long, flat feet but it was war and he was inducted. Then there’s my great grandfather Charles S. Moore. He served in the 4th NJ Regimental Infantry during the Civil War. He must have been and ornery guy because he disobeyed and order to stopped shooting mules with dried corn kernels and shot again. They court marshaled him and docked his pay. The transcript of the court marshal contained a question about his being late for a battle. The sergeant explained that he had bad feet and couldn’t keep up with the rest, so they made him the wagoner. Those long, flat feet are still around in my family. When my oldest son, Sean was born the first thing my husband said was, “Oh no, he has your father’s feet.” And now I see my grandson, Finn and think, “Oh no, he has my father’s feet.”

#52 Ancestors, #52 Ancestors 2020, #Long Feet, #Earl Moore, #Charles S. Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment