Monday, July 8, 2019

A Very Patriotic 4th of July




A Very Patriotic 4th of July

52 Ancestors 2019 – Independent

In 1976 the 4th of July was a big deal. We were celebrating our country’s 200th birthday. This was the culmination of months of events marking the start of our nation. For me that day was especially memorable. I didn’t go to a parade, visit an historical landmark, go to a picnic or do any of the thousands of events observed throughout the country. I was in San Antonio Texas.

What was a Jersey girl doing there? Going through or as many know surviving basic training. I had joined the Air Force Reserve. I was 25 and had been a teacher for several years. I left for San Antonio the Monday after school let out on the previous Friday. I flew from Philadelphia to San Antonio. Once there I was met along with other trainees by a sergeant who took us to a room to wait for others and a bus to Lackland AFB. When we got off the bus on base we were taken to a room where additional information was given. I think most of us were feeling a little intimidated. We had to go to a bathroom and give a urine sample to check for drugs. Even though we were not in this reception room that long I made a few friends that would be in my training flight and later in my tech school class.

From there we went to our barracks. These were modern facilities nd floor with a “patio” underneath where we would form up into ranks. Another squadron was on the other side of the building. On the first floor between the two “patios” was the mess and the laundry rooms. The barracks was divided into two rooms with half of the 50 or 60 squadron recruits in each. Our bunks were singular. With a locker at the end of the bunk and chair against the wall. The drill sergeants had their own room. Only 1 sergeant stayed at night. Beyond that was the latrine and day room. The first days were tough. Years later I found a letter in a pension file in the US Archives that a 2nd great uncle wrote to his mother. In that first letter after joining the 7th Cavalry, he asks her can you get me out of this. I think most of the people who join the military think this.
with air conditioning which was really welcomed in the Texas summers. The barracks were on the 2

The 4th of July came, and we were only a week and a half into training. Basic training is a specific number of days and weekends and holidays don’t count. So, 4th of July meant I more day added to basic training. We didn’t train that day and spent it in the barracks. But then in the evening we could go down on the “patio” and watch fireworks that were miles away. We were disappointed not to spend our country’s 200th birthday with a little more excitement. But think of it. We were serving that same country perhaps not as dramatically as those Americans in the Continental Army but what a terrific 4th of July.


#July 4, 1976, #Air Force basic training, #Arlene Baker, #Arlene Moore, #Bicentennial, #Air Force basic training 1976, #52 Ancestors Independent

No comments:

Post a Comment