Saturday, July 20, 2019


Wiedrich Reunions

My Uncle Chuck and Aunt Ernie Wiedrich had wonderful family reunions. In my childhood I think I only went to one. It was in a park in Batavia, NY. Every year my family went to Batavia to visit my mother’s relatives especially my great grandmother, Sarah Wiedrich. It was a car trip that took about 8 hours. We happened to be there one year when my grandfather’s brother, Chester (Chuck) and his family had their reunion. I don’t remember much since the number of relatives there was overwhelming for a child.

Many years later my mom and I would go to Batavia to visit her childhood friend, Arlene (Cook) Hodgins. By this time my great grandmother, Uncle Chuck and Aunt Ernie were gone. One year we were there in early July and learned  that the Wiedrich reunion was still going on with Chuck’s children. So, we went to a park in Darian to have a reunion with my mom’s cousins. Then for several years we made it a point to go to Batavia when that reunion was going on. My mom really enjoyed seeing her cousins again and I liked getting to know them  too.

My mom passed away in 2012 and I haven’t been back. Some of the cousins have died too and I’m not sure if they still have them. But recently I connected with a daughter of one of Chuck’s daughters through “23 and me”. It was nice to hear from her and have kind of a virtual reunion.



#52 Ancestors Reunion, #Wiedrich reunion, #Family reunions

No comments:

Post a Comment