Sunday, July 21, 2019


The Death of a Famous Person That Shocked Me the Most

When I think of a death of a famous person that was shocking  would be of one in my childhood. There are so many that could be shocking since then, but I think we get desensitized. But that first one was John F. Kennedy. I was in 7th grade. It was the last period of the day at Gloucester City Jr. Sr. High School. That period was English with Mrs. Dot Sasse. As we passed through the hallway to class some of the teachers were crying especially Mrs. Dougherty who was talking to Mrs. Sasse. After we got in  class either Mr. McNally or Mr. Bracken, I don’t remember which, came on the PA. The announcement was made that President Kennedy had been assassinated and school was being dismissed. This was a Friday so school would be closed for the weekend. School was closed on Monday for the funeral. The nation, including myself were in shock. Myself and all of America was glued to the television to watch the funeral.

The other death that shocked me was the assassination of Robert Kennedy. I always got up early for school and would watch the 6am news. I was anxious to see who won the primary election the night before as I hoped it would be Kennedy. It was shocking to see news coverage of the shooting of Kennedy in the hotel kitchen. I ran downstairs and woke my parents and told them. I don’t remember them getting up as I guess they were immune to these events.

The assassination of Martin Luther King was not shocking as I thought he was always in danger. White people didn’t want society to change. But I guess his death as it affected me was the shock. My school was all white with a few Hispanic students. This was not because of segregation but because as the only public school in my town that was the racial makeup of the town. When we arrived at the start of school there was a dead chicken up on the flagpole. School was canceled for the day because they thought the school may be a target of violence. I don’t remember if school was closed for more than one day. My dad had a lot more work for a while since he was Chief of Police and the town was on edge.
#Death of a famous person that shocked me the most


No comments:

Post a Comment